“The Bible is full of contradictions.”
“The Bible is just a collection of myths written by people long ago.”
“The Bible can’t claim to be a factual source of historical people and events.”
Have you ever heard someone make statements like these? Perhaps in moments of doubt you have entertained the same questions yourself. Through the years I have talked with people who challenge the authenticity and authority of the Bible. Some just want to argue; others are genuinely seeking to know the truth about the claims of the Bible.
As I think about the attacks that have been hurled at the Bible through the ages I stand today with great confidence in the reliability of the Bible as the source of truth from God. Here are just a few of the reasons I come to this conclusion:
- From a purely literary perspective the Bible stands in a class by itself in terms of beauty, wisdom, complexity and design. There are sixty-six books written by forty different authors over a span of 1500 years, yet God’s Word displays a supernatural unity from start to finish.
- The New Testament Gospels are historical accounts by people who either were personally present or who consulted with eye witness of the life and ministry of Jesus.
- The mountains of archeological evidence continue to verify the historical accuracy of details contained in the Bible.
- Hundreds of years before the coming of Christ very specific prophecies were given about virtually every aspect of His life and ministry. Against impossible odds those prophecies were fulfilled with amazing accuracy.
- If the Gospel accounts of Jesus’ life, death and resurrection were not true, the people of the day would have known it and would have laughed the story off as fiction. But that wasn’t the case. No one could step forward to refute the claims of the Gospels. Instead the church exploded with growth because of the truth of the facts.
- There is an abundance of extra-biblical corroboration for the key and basic facts contained in the Gospel. Ancient secular historians provide independent historical confirmation of biblical material.
These certainties give us great confidence in the Bible. As a believer, however, I am most encouraged by the very claims that the Bible makes about itself … claims to its authenticity and accuracy. Consider just a few:
“As for God, his way is perfect; the word of the Lord is flawless. He is a shield for all who take refuge in him” (Psalm 18:30).
“All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness” (2 Timothy 3:16).
“For the word of God is living and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart” (Hebrews 4:12).
“Above all, you must understand that no prophecy of Scripture came about by the prophet’s own interpretation. For prophecy never had its origin in the will of man, but men spoke from God as they were carried along by the Holy Spirit” (2 Peter 1:20-21).
A perfect God could never give us an imperfect revelation of Himself. The One True God would never reveal Himself in a way that was in any way false. Almighty God, supernatural in all He is and does, has given to us a supernatural book called the Bible. Stand confidently in your convictions about your reliable Bible.